Wavemaker Sales & Service Blogs are brought to you by:
Wavemaker Consulting & Wavemaker Adventure Learning

Monday, January 26, 2009

What's In A Name?

The other day while out doing a bit of shopping, I was party to what struck me as a particularly positive service experience. I had taken my purchase to the cash and handed over my credit card.

Having shopped here before, I was expecting no more than the usual impersonal processing of the transaction; but, much to my surprise, the cashier actually spoke up and said, “Mr. Francis, did you happen to notice that we have a very similar item on sale.”

A few minutes later, I returned to the counter with two of the comparable sale items and thanked the individual, who I now saw as more of a customer service representative than cashier, for bringing this to my attention. She promptly rang up my purchase, smiled and said “No Mr. Francis, thank you, and please come again.”

In total, this young person had said no more than twenty-five words to me, but in doing so; she used my name twice and completely changed my perception of the institution she worked for.

Prior to this encounter, I’d always seen this particular retail establishment as cold and impersonal. I seldom shopped there and when I did, it was only out of necessity. I ignored their advertising and would never have recommended them to a friend or even hesitated to berate their service standards in casual conversation.

That caused me to wonder; why do companies spend so much on marketing to bring customer through their doors, only to send them packing with an impression of cold and impersonal service?

Just what would it take and how much would it cost, to get everyone in the organization to warm up a little and use the customer’s name at every opportunity?

Perhaps less than you may think.

To comment on this blog click on 'comments' below. To read previous articles, see the Blog Archive (lower right) and to become a Wavemaker Blogs follower, click on 'Follow' (just above Archive).

If you would like to know more about how Wavemaker Consulting can help your company improve the customer experience you provide, visit our Website, or email us at wmconsulting@live.com

4 comments:

  1. Jim,
    Couldn't agree more. Companies do so much to get us in the door then often ruin the experience by the conduct of their staff. Two recent experiences, both High Street food retail: (1)whilst checking out, staff chatting to each other. Only three words uttered to me: "Enter your PIN". (Not even a Please.)
    (2)Arrive at checkout and the tills are down. Can't pay for the relatively small purchase by card and have no cash. Though not know by name, I'm recocognised as a regular (who at the moment is demonstrating zero time tolerance.) Cashier looks up: "I see you're in a hurry, pays us next time you're in". I thank her, smile and think to myself, "I know where I'll keep shopping".
    It's not difficult or costly to grant employees permission to enhance the customer experience, it just takes a little leadership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly does knock you over now when you do receive over the top service - something that seemed to be more common years ago.

    I was recently away with my family at a destination that was heavily populated with tourists. The entire experience while I was there was over the top service! All of the locals were very aware that the tourists were their direct lines of income, additional tips and perhaps repeat visits. Everyone that I connected with seemed pleasant, was eager to help and at the same time had a very relaxed demeanour. I believe that they all were well aware they lived in a pretty fantastic location and did all they could to enjoy the sunsets and surf on the weekends but were available 100% for their visitors/guests. Even the part casual worker at Quiznos couldn't help but smile while looking at a long line up of customers that didn't know what they wanted, changed orders on her mid way... they get it! We will for sure be back for a 3rd time sooner then later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the responsibility of front line employees to shape the customer experience and keep clientele coming back for more. Frequently it is these employees who are both recognized and paid the least. It is the duty of company executives to ensure that such employees are made aware of how their efforts contribute to the overall success of the business and to reward such efforts appropriately. Employees who internalize a sense of purpose and belonging within an organization will undoubtedly provide a better customer experience. I think you are completely accurate in stating that companies all too often focus too heavily on marketing and getting people through the door but frequently neglect to ensure that the customer experience is fulfilling enough to have them return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, that was a super example of how the simple things work, and how easy it is to apply common sense, when someone reminds us to do so.

    It was such useful gems like that, that when you brought them to my attention, made it so valuable to work with you. Thanks for reminding me.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete