Wavemaker Sales & Service Blogs are brought to you by:
Wavemaker Consulting & Wavemaker Adventure Learning

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Greater Purpose

At this time of year many of us give thought to changes we might want to make in our lives. Often, we even go as far as to set New Year's resolutions, usually along the lines of losing weight, getting fit, being a better person or something like that. A few of us even manage to keep these resolutions, but I'm usually not one of them. This year, I'd like to suggest something a little different. I'd like to suggest that we start not by creating a laundry list of end goals, but rather with a far headier task, that being the definition of our personal/professional purpose.

So what is your purpose…beyond profit…or a pay check?

Interesting question, isn’t it?

Over the years, I’ve probably asked this question of several hundred people and what I’ve discovered is, the vast majority have difficulty clearly articulating how they contribute… either to the companies they work for… to the customers they serve… or, for the more esoteric amongst us…to the benefit of all mankind.

Equally interesting is that typically, these same people are not all that clear about what they want out of life; albeit, they’re pretty darn sure they’re not getting it! Very few among us have specific goals, let alone ones clearly aligned with our greater purpose. Even fewer have taken the time to write them down. Yet logic would certainly suggest that knowing where you want to go, and the route you’re going to take, greatly increases your chances of getting there.

On both of these fronts, most companies are not all that different. When the goals of an organization are unclear, or don’t align with their greater purpose, that’s when the main focus becomes just the money; and that’s when things often go off the rails. This, in part, might help explain the events that have plagued much of the economy over the last few months.

Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against profits, or pay checks, but much like the hockey player who keeps glancing up at the scoreboard, if you become overly obsessed with the score, or the money, eventually, you’re going to take a hit.

Conversely, if you’re clear about, and true to your purpose (we’ll assume it’s a worthy one) and you keep your eye on the goal, there is little doubt that the rewards will follow.

What do you think?

What is your purpose beyond profits…or a paycheck?

Do you have specific professional and/or life goals that align with that purpose?

Are they written down?

If you’re wondering what my personal purpose is, well, that’s personal, but I am certainly willing to share my professional purpose: As the President (and only employee) of the newly formed Wavemaker Consulting, my purpose beyond profit is to help enhance the human experience.

If you want to know more about that, you'll have to respond to this blog (click on comments below), visit our Website (click on the link above), or email me at wmconsulting@live.com
.

2 comments:

  1. Once again I'm a bit late with my New Years resolutions .....but perhaps thats a good thing this year. After reading your blog I feel inspired to change my typical annual laundry list ,step outside my comfort zone and perhaps even write some life goals down !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic, would love to read more topics like this. I too believe if you focus on your purpose then the profit will come ( hopefully)

    ReplyDelete