Wavemaker Sales & Service Blogs are brought to you by:
Wavemaker Consulting & Wavemaker Adventure Learning

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Advantage - Great Service

I'm feeling a bit guilty about my last blog article (or should I say rant) which as you may recall, was aimed at the 'Stupid' Store.

It's not that they didn't deserve it. In fact, I've had occasion to be in touch since the 'cans' incident and they were no more helpful than they'd been on my last visit.

You see, I was craving Dungeness crab, as one does, and called to see if they had any in stock. I'll admit it - this was less about me giving them second chance and more about my need for a reasonably priced crab fix.

In any event, after the usual call transfer delays, I finally got through to someone in the fish department who informed me they had crabs (so to speak) but refused to tell me the price per pound. Apparently, it's their policy not to give prices over the phone. No doubt this one was written by the same lamebrain who can up with the 24 can return policy.

But I digress. The reason I am feeling guilty is because not because I comparison shop, or because despite the cholesterol count, I love fresh steamed crab dipped in hot butter. The reason I am feeling guilty is because I realize I tend to write more about bad customer experiences than good ones and I know that sharing the occasional example of a great customer experience might be refreshing, if not helpful. The problem is that in my experience great customer experiences are all too rare.

Fortunately, Jim Foster, a good friend of mine was lucky enough to have one and kind enough to allow me to share it with you.

What follows is Jim's story:

We had the misfortune to have our hot water tank pack it in on Tuesday. Our first call was to the company who supplied it, who suggested they could come in about 6 days. Not prepared to wait that long between showers, our second call was to Advantage. They could come between 3 and 5 pm that same day! Needless to say, we booked the appointment.

To make a long story short, I received a call from the office when the van was dispatched, the technician gave a firm quote before doing the job, then did it in less than the estimated time and at what I believe was a reasonable cost.

Today we received a follow up letter from the President of the company, thanking us for the business, asking if we were happy with the service and advising us of what to do if we had any problems in the future. It also contained a copy of their service philosophy, a detailed explanation of their cost structure and an invitation to drop by for a coffee if we happen to be in the neighborhood!

Now that's great service, something so very rare these days!So there you have it. Doesn't it warm your heart to know that while rare, there are still some companies out there delivering great service? And if you happen to live in the Greater Vancouver area, here's a bonus - now you know who to call if your hot water tank ever decides to pack it in.


To comment, or read the comments on this blog click on 'comments' beside the little envelope below. To read previous articles (this is #36), see the Blog Archive (lower right) and to become a Wavemaker Blogs follower, click on 'Follow' (just above Archive).

If you would like to be notified whenever a new Wavemaker blog topic is posted, just drop us an email at wmconsulting@live.com with "Blog Me" in the subject bar. We promise never to provide your contact details to anyone else and you can unsubscribe from this service at any time.

If you would like to know more about how Wavemaker Consulting can help your company improve the customer experience you provide visit our Website, or email us at wmconsulting@live.com

6 comments:

  1. Great post.I have to agree with your guilt, the bad service stories are so much more interesting than the good ones but we do need to talk about the good ones.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    Loved this one...especially when they said---we have crabs. We have ONE company in UK that can match the service. You will remember John Lewis. The rest are ALL stoopid!

    Keep smiling

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. They say a rant is good for the heart, so are you getting big hearted. Hey John Lewis is good - are you missing the English chocolate? I am sorry I have not been able to get out of UK lately. Ray, I am sure John Lewis is not the only one, I have had pretty good service from a lot of local firms here - one of them is the local BMW dealer!!!

    Keep taking the medication for the crabs,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jims (as Jim Foster also contributed),

    Thanks for this.

    Your "rants" are probably just the manisfestation of the oft repeated common knowledge theory that you will tell (is it) 10 people about bad service but maybe only about 2 or 3 at most about good service. Word of (bad-)mouth has a way of getting around....

    Must be something to do with repair companies currently. I had a problem with my washing machine. They guy called back when he said he would and came when he said he would, found out what was wrong and went to buy the part locally (said he might have to come back the next day to finish it off but actually came back about half an hour later), fixed it and was very courteous and friendly as well as quick, throughout. I also got a very nice follow up letter from the company with some discount vouchers. I am thinking of breaking my dryer so that I can use those vouchers now!.....
    The name of the company is Totem Appliance and Refrigeration - 604 437 5136 (in Metro Vancouver) - totemappliance.com. One for your "good guy" list. (Remember we talked about the good the bad and the ugly list?...)

    So we have to think about what people will say about us /our service. What image do we project? Do we smile and genuinely try to help the customer, try to find the best solutions, or do we perform begrudgingly, applying policies narrow-mindedly?

    As I think Oscar Wilde said, there is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is NOT being talked about.

    What do you want people to say about you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To All,

    Great comments, much appreciated! Who knows, maybe I'll even change my ways and try to include more of a balance of the good, the bad and the ugly! But I still think the ugly are more fun.

    To Justin,

    Thanks for the reminder about the list. I'll try to figure out a way to work it in to the site.

    Have a great day!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although excellent customer service seems like a pretty basic tenet of running a business, it seems to be forgotten or over-looked by many business owners. Thumbs up for those who gave good service! They deserve free publicity..:)
    Small Business Answering service

    ReplyDelete