Wavemaker Sales & Service Blogs are brought to you by:
Wavemaker Consulting & Wavemaker Adventure Learning

Friday, January 15, 2010

Some People Wait A Lifetime

The other day I found myself on hold while waiting to inquire about a billing issue with my telephone service provider. Unlike many similar automated queueing systems, this one did not give any indication of wait times. That said, I knew I was in it for the long haul as every few minutes the background music was interrupted by the following message:

Interested in a career in telecommunications? We currently have several openings for call centre operators.

When I first heard this, I thought: Fair enough. They are short staffed, but at least they're trying to do something about it. By the fifth or sixth time I heard it, my thoughts were becoming somewhat less charitable.

But then, about ten minutes into my wait, something happened that really lit a fuse. At first I didn't catch on as by this time I was cradling the phone on my shoulder and going about some other business. When the penny did drop, I became painfully aware of the song playing in the background. Believe it or not, it was none other than A Moment Like This which, for those of you not familiar with the lyrics, repeats almost ad nauseum the line:

"some people wait a lifetime... for a moment like this."

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Kelly Clarkson, or this particular piece of music. But I did find it's placement a bit over the top. Either someone at the phone company has a very warped sense of humor, or attention to detail does not feature highly in their operational imperatives. Either way, while I had to laugh, I was not amused, if you know what I mean.

As it happens, I did not have to wait an entire lifetime. It just felt like one.

After a little over 18 minutes, I was finally put through to a rather pleasant individual, who when challenged on the billing item in question (a charge of $3.99 for a 1 minute call to directory assistance) was quick to advise me that particular service was not one provided by her company, but rather one provided buy a third party and that I would have to take it up with them directly. I found it strange that they would farm out such a lucrative service (many lawyers charge less than what equates to a $239.40 hourly rate) but since they are the ones doing the billing, it is probably safe to assume they get a cut.

In any event, intrigued by this response, not to mention being somewhat opportunistic, I then asked if they also farmed out the design of their automated queueing systems. Needless to say, she failed to see the humor in this.

In the end I opted to eat the disputed charge and did not bother calling the number she gave me. Not all of us can afford to wait a lifetime for moments like this!

If your company has an automated call management system, you might want to take a moment and check out what impression it leaves with your customers. From the rest of you, we'd love to hear about any 'interesting' call management systems you may have encountered.


To comment, or read the comments on this blog click on 'comments' beside the little envelope below. To read previous articles (this is #24), see the Blog Archive (lower right) and to become a Wavemaker Blogs follower, click on 'Follow' (just above Archive).

If you would like to be notified whenever a new Wavemaker blog topic is posted, just drop us an email at wmconsulting@live.com with "Blog Me" in the subject bar. We promise never to provide your contact details to anyone else and you can unsubscribe from this service at any time.

If you would like to know more about how Wavemaker Consulting can help your company improve the customer experience you provide, visit our Website, or email us at wmconsulting@live.com

6 comments:

  1. An amusing read Jim. A laughable but tragic commentary on the typical customer service one can expect from Call Centres these days - unless, of course, when they are the ones trying to reach you, at dinner time, on your birthday, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the following approach was quite innovative.

    I had to call Milani plumbing several times during the month leading up to Christmas. On each occasion, although I had to "hold", they always tried to keep the wait as short as possible. However as Christmas approached, their voicemail message altered to include several short stories about Christmas customs. The one I remember related to why we have candy canes at Christmas - (originally candies in the form of Shepherds' crooks used to keep children quiet during the church service). However there were about half a dozen little "info bytes" which were so interesting that I (a) didn't notice the time spent waiting and (b) almost didn't want a "real" person to answer as he/she would have interrupted the story and I wouldn't have heard the end of it!

    I've never heard of this being done before - so appreciated the novelty.

    Best regards,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim, I still tell everyone about our family holiday in B.C. - how great it was, how friendly the people, AND, how efficient the service. I read this with horror. It sounds JUST LIKE UK.

    O2 our national provider knows my name very well!

    Keep smiling-Ray

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim,

    Thanks for sharing.

    All the best!

    Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jim. Can’t we all relate to waiting at the end of a phone!

    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Hanging on the telephone" by Blondie would have been far more appropriate! Good piece Jim.
    Ade

    ReplyDelete