Wavemaker Sales & Service Blogs are brought to you by:
Wavemaker Consulting & Wavemaker Adventure Learning

Sunday, October 25, 2009

At Long Last!

I was very pleased to hear that at long last our provincial government is going to make it illegal to use cell phones and other hand held devices while operating a motor vehicle. While certainly a step in the right direction, I'd like to suggest this new legislation goes nowhere near far enough.

Allow me to explain by way of three little stories:

Story One: Some time back, I attended an information session (read sales presentation) where the speaker, on no less than two occasions, interrupted their own pitch to answer an incoming call. Beyond being extremely annoying, what their actions said to me was this person had more regard for themselves and whoever was on the end of the line than for anyone in attendance, including myself. Whether they realized it or not, they paid dearly for taking those calls as everyone in the room was either a customer, or a potential one; and I was not first to walk out with no intention of ever coming back.

Story Two: In my previous life (when I actually worked for a living) I attended a lot of meetings. I'd like to tell you that all of those meeting were productive; but sadly, thanks to cell phones and the like, many were not. I remember at least a couple of occasions where the person who called the meeting in the first place, took a call on their cell part way through it, and then promptly left! I also recall, and again on more than one occasion, observing other participants busily texting while someone, often the boss, was speaking. But the ultimate disaster had to be when one poor soul answered a call while the person presenting was none other than the CEO. I've often wondered whatever happened to good old Robert. One thing is for sure - he paid a heavy price indeed.

Story Three: As many of you know, I teach the odd course at local colleges and universities. Much as I am embarrassed to admit it, I can't tell you how many times I've had a student jump up and leave the room to take a call. I've even had a few who have taken the call without leaving the room. Personally, I find this a bit disturbing, especially as most of the teaching I do is on either the topic of enhancing the customer experience, or on public speaking; two practices which don't take kindly to this kind of interruption. And since I mark not so much on what the student knows, but rather on the demonstration of what they have learned, here too the price was high.

So what do these little stories tell us?

Just as the use of handheld devices while driving has caused countless needless accidents, many of which resulted in grievous bodily harm, even death; the use of these same devices while in the classroom, or at a business meeting has caused grievous harm to numerous GPAs and careers, not to mention, killed many a sale.

So unless you're a cardiologist, paramedic or firefighter... or your wife is nine months pregnant, you should probably turn off whatever pesky bit of communication technology you carry long before you step foot in a classroom, boardroom or client's offices.


To comment, or read the comments on this blog click on 'comments' beside the little envelope below. To read previous articles (this is #19), see the Blog Archive (lower right) and to become a Wavemaker Blogs follower, click on 'Follow' (just above Archive).

If you would like to be notified whenever a new Wavemaker blog topic is posted, just drop us an email at wmconsulting@live.com with "Blog Me" in the subject bar. We promise never to provide your contact details to anyone else and you can unsubscribe from this service at any time.

If you would like to know more about how Wavemaker Consulting can help your company improve the customer experience you provide, visit our Website, or email us at wmconsulting@live.com

11 comments:

  1. Another excellent article Jim. At the start of any courses I run I ask the particpants to switch off their mobiles (cell phones to you North Americans), and not to just switch to silent mode. No one is totally indispensible, and no course runs for much longer than 90 minutes without a break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! It's one of my pet peeves.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim. I have long held the view that the person standing in front of me has my undivided attention, and the person on the phone is an interuption. But I feel I am in the minority. The fact that someone will break off a human interaction to answer a digital call is at best alarming, and at worse downright rude! The best presentations I have been to require attendees to park their cellphones, blackberries etc at a phone park near the entrance, a practice that we should encourage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would add "unless you have the response codes for the nuclear attack, turn off you cell phone when you are driving or in a meeting with clients or colleagues."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more on 'At long Last'.

    In the UK, the authorities are policing this like the breathalyser/impaired driving. Rather than stop every idiot who is using a phone (which is unproductive and well nigh impossible), the law requires anyone who causes an accident b/c of phone use to spend time in the slammer. That gets the message across. The first person to do this last year when I was there was an 18yr old single mum...that got the public's attention!

    Just today, one of my students asked how she could improve her mediocre midterm mark. I replied that she could not have a supplemental exam, as she had requested, but that she could improve her study habits and not multi-task in class (aka. blog/text/do internet banking etc.). That pissed her off, but she understands now that I know what she does in class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim
    Thank you including me in your blog. I agree with your observations and opinions. I always try to remember to turn of my phone when going into formal meetings, church's, theatres and restaurants. I am in the construction business, and many of my meetings are on the site with trades, so I do leave my phone on durring those meetings and screen the calls to make sure that I am dealing only with the matters of that project, all other calls go to voice mail. I do use the phone in my vehical and will be installing blue tooth, to meet new regulations. Hard to break old habits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's about time! The UK has been enforcing this for sometime now. I was personally involved in a head on collision many years ago due to the other driver talking on his mobile / cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story! I think we all need these little reminders once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was very nice of you to send me your thoughtful blogs link. I was surprised how your warm writing is close to your friendly talking in the class, and such a amazing story teller you are. I'm looking forward to see future subjects gladly.

    Sincerely,

    Ashraf

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Jim

    Great article. As you know we run a small retail business. When we opened 8 years ago, we made a policy decision concerning landline telephone calls. If we have a client in the store when a call comes in, we default to voicemail, and return the call when our "in person" clients have left. We always explain the policy to the client in the store so they understand that we are not ignoring phone customers.

    And now to your point about cell phones. Unfortunately, not all of our clients in the store have the same respect for our time and attention as we have for theirs. Clients will interrupt our discussion with them about 90% of the time to take a call on their cell. Very annoying to say the least, particularly if we have other in store clients who are waiting for us to finish with the offender. The time for some sensitivity and courtesy training on cell phones is long overdue.

    Keep up the good work!!


    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I run a meeting or a training session I do the mock "this is your flight attendant speaking, please switch off all electronic devices during take off and do not switch them back on until after landing."

    Another thing I've also noticed at training sessions / conferences during breaks - remember when people networked and actually talked to each other, face to face? Those were noisy and very productive breaks.

    Now those breaks are much quieter with only the chatter into blackberries/cell phones - no mingling any more, just catching up with the latest message.

    I suppose they HAVE to feel indispensable. How awful for them if they thought they could switch their gadget off for a few hours. Somehow the world would have to manage without them...

    The blackberry/cell phone came in and the basic courtesies seem to have gone out of the window. Shame.

    ReplyDelete